Seven new classes -- covering everything from the secret life of bugs to oil painting -- were announced Dec. 20 for the winter term at the Boyd Hill Nature Preserve.
Part of the St. Petersburg Parks & Recreation system, the Boyd Hill Nature Preserve offers classes, camps and various nature-themed programs. Additionally, it is the site of a nationally recognized exhibit titled “The Ripple Effect: Understanding Nature’s Connections.”
All classes will be held at the Preserve, located at 1101 Country Club Way S. For more information, call 727-893-7326.
Here’s a list of the newly announced courses, along with times and fees:
• DIY Natural Paints – Learn about harvesting, making and using natural paints from 2 to 4 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 14. All supplies are included in the $10 registration fee, and the class is open to students 18 and above.
• Colors of the Season – Blending classroom instruction with a guided hike, this session covers how to harvest and make natural paints from noon to 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 18. Open to students age 5 and above, the class’s $10 fee includes all materials.
• Geocaching Treasure Hunt – On Saturday, Feb. 11, students from 5 to 10 years old can learn the basics of educational geocaching during this special treasure hunt. Cost is $5 and the session lasts from 10 a.m. to noon.
• Bug Club – An introduction to the world of insects for children ages 6 to 12 is covered in this session, held from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, Feb. 25.
• Attracting Wildlife Workshop – Timed to coincide with National Wildlife Week, this course -- held from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, March 11 -- covers how to create a backyard-sized wildlife refuge. An RSVP is required, and the $5 course is open to students 12 and older.
• Nature Around the World – Explore the natural world with a guided tour of the preserve’s grounds, conducted by international environmental educator Amalia Fernand. This $130, weeklong session will be held March 13-17 for children ages 4 to 7. The camp will meet daily from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Bug Club (Native Bees) – This workshop for children ages 7 to 12 covers native bees and how to create a bee-friendly environment one’s own backyard. The $10 course will be held from 10 a.m. to noon Saturday, March 25.
Click here to learn more about the Boyd Hill Nature Preserve’s programs.
100 2nd Ave. N., Suite 150 St. Petersburg, FL 33701